Annual Gynecology Exams in Chicago & Hinsdale
Annual exams are an essential part of preventative care. Scheduling regular exams can help to catch symptoms of more serious conditions early on. The board-certified OBGYNs at Lake Shore Obstetrics & Gynecology provide annual exams and gynecologic care to women at our gynecology office in Chicago and Hinsdale, IL. To schedule your annual gynecologic exam, please call (312) 943-3300 today!
How should I prepare for my exam?
The most important thing to do before your gynecological exam is research. Women should be prepared to discuss their family medical history and be ready for questions about their menstrual cycle. Some of the most commonly asked questions your provider may ask include:
- When was your last period?
- How long does your period typically last?
- What age did you start your period?
- Are you sexually active?
What should I expect for my annual exam?
The pelvic exam only lasts a few minutes and the exam itself doesn’t hurt. Most physicians will explain the process before beginning the exam, asking questions throughout the process is encouraged. The pelvic exam consists of the following steps:
- Your doctor will typically begin the annual exam with a breast exam to check for lumps that may be a sign of cancer.
- Your physician will then check the external genital area for irritations, cysts or other problems.
- Next, the physician will insert a speculum, which is an instrument that is used to examine the cervix and vaginal walls. During this time, the doctor will also conduct a pap smear to check for cancerous and pre-cancerous cells.
- The last step in the physical exam is for the physician to check the uterus, fallopian tubes and ovaries by inserting gloved fingers into the vagina and pressing on the abdomen.
Not only does the annual exam ensure that you maintain good gynecological health, but it is also an opportunity for you to catch health problems in the early stages.
Schedule Your Annual Gynecology Exam in Hinsdale & Chicago Today!
Keeping up with your annual women’s health exam is important if you are seeking woman’s wellness and preventative care, contact Lake Shore Obstetrics & Gynecology to meet with our board-certified gynecologists. To schedule your annual exam at our gynecology office in Hinsdale and Chicago, IL, please call us at (312) 943-3300 today!