Heavy Menstrual Bleeding Specialist in Chicago, IL
The gynecologists at Lake Shore OB/GYN specialize in the treatment of heavy menstrual bleeding. If you are experiencing unusual menstrual bleeding, contact our gynecology providers to discuss the underlying cause and the treatment option best suited for you. To schedule your consultation, please call (312) 943-3300 to visit our gynecology office in Chicago or Hinsdale, IL.
What is Considered a Heavy Period?
If a patient experiences any of the following problems, it is recommended that they speak to their doctor:
- Bleeding that last longer than 7 days
- Soaking through more than one tampon or pad every hour several hours in a row
- Needing to change a pad or tampon during the night
- Experiencing large blood clots
Women should seek immediate medical care if they have soaked through their normal tampon or pad in an hour for more than 2 hours, or feel lightheaded.
Heavy Menstrual Bleeding
What is Heavy Menstrual Bleeding?
1 in 5 women suffer from heavy menstrual bleeding. Many women begin to experience heavy and/or irregular bleeding in their 30s and 40s, as they begin to get closer to menopause. Heavy periods are more than just a hassle - they take a physical, social, and emotional toll as well.
Studies show heavy menstrual bleeding can affect women in a number of ways:
- Many feel tired and nauseated
- Many experience bad cramps
- Many have headaches
- More than 60% have had to miss social or athletic events1
- About 80% report avoiding sex1
- 33% have been forced to miss work2
- 77% have depression or moodiness1
- 75% feel anxious2
- 57% report a lack of confidence during their period1
Heavy periods are not something with which you have to live. Today, there are a number of effective treatment options available.
- National Women’s Health Resource Center. Survey of women who experience heavy menstrual bleeding. Data on file; 2005.
- Cooper J, et al. A randomized, multicenter trial of safety and efficacy of the NovaSure system in the treatment of menorrhagia. J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc. 2002; 9:418-428.
Schedule a Consultation for Heavy Menstrual Bleeding Treatment in Chicago, IL Today!
If you have been experiencing heavy vaginal bleeding and are looking for answers, contact Lake Shore Obstetrics & Gynecology to discuss the cause and treatment options available. Call our gynecology office in Chicago and Hinsdale at (312) 943-3300 to schedule your appointment today!