Postpartum Depression Support at Lake Shore OBGYN
Most women experience postpartum depression after having a baby, and it is considered a normal part of early motherhood.
Postpartum depression, or PPD, is a serious condition that can occur in the first few months after childbirth. It’s often brought on by changes in hormone levels, but other issues can increase the chance of women getting postpartum including:
- Having a history of depression
- Poor support from your partner, friends or family
- Increased amount of stress in your life
- Having a sick or colicky baby
Symptoms of Postpartum Depression
Though the severity of symptoms depends on the woman, the most common symptoms of postpartum depression include:
- Feeling sad a majority of the time
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Loss of energy and motivation to do everyday tasks
- Drastic changes in appetite
- Showing little interest in your baby
Treating Postpartum Depression in Chicago
Treating postpartum depression is similar to treating other kinds of depression. Talk therapy and medications are the most common treatment options, but there are also ways women experiencing postpartum depression can heal themselves.
Finding people to help with child care, taking time for yourself and being honest with how much you can do in a day is important to enjoying the first few months of being a mother.
Consult one of our OBGYNs at Lake Shore Obstetrics & Gynecology today by calling (312) 943-3300 if you feel you may have postpartum depression. We have offices in both Chicago and Hinsdale.